This blog covers the years 2014-2016 when we (the Robisons) were at the Ghana MTC. To see the blog covering the period 2016-2018 click on this link: http://ldsghanamtc.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Teach Me All That I Must Do

Notice how this does not read, "teach me all that I must know?"  In missionary training, it is all about applied learning.

A good way to illustrate this is in sharing an tidbit of history regarding one of our beloved children's hymns:




I Am a Child of God

When Sister Naomi Randall penned the lyrics of "I Am a Child of God" in the middle of the night under inspiration, the original chorus said "Teach me all that I must know." Later, President David O. McKay heard the song and and mentioned that the word "know" in the chorus concerned him. He asked Sister Randall if she would change it to "do," and she happily agreed.

Reflecting on this alteration, she said, "I wondered why I didn't include that thought at the time the lyrics were first written. But as time went on, I came to feel very sincerely that this was the way the Lord wanted the song to evolve, because it became a teaching moment for members all over the Church and impressed upon their minds that knowing the gospel is not all that is required; it is the day-by-day doing the Lord's will and keeping the commandments that help us reach our eternal goal."

Also, the Children's Songbook version of this hymn has an additional verse:
I am a child of God
His promises are sure
Celestial glory shall be mine
If I can but endure 


HYMNS FUN FACT: The LDS hymnal is very small compared to other church hymnals. In fact, many Protestant hymnbooks have twice as many hymns as the 341 in the LDS hymnal.

Again, as Paul Harvey would have said...that is the rest of the story.

Source: http://www.ldsliving.com/story/76560-10-things-you-didnt-know-about-your-favorite-lds-hymns

No comments:

Post a Comment